Voice Lessons, Let your Heart Sing! Health Benefits of Singing
The Omaha School of Music and Dance offers vocal lesson to all levels and ages of students. Whether you are beginning singing lesson after retirement, or a child who can’t help but sing—we have the teachers to help you find enjoyment in singing to your full capability.
What you might not realize: singing can actually increase your capabilities—by improving your health! By taking singing lessons, you not only improve your singing, but exercise vital organs!
Some of the ways that singing can improve your health:
- Aerobic Activity: Singing exercises muscles in torso, even while sitting! The deep and measured breathing required for singing works a range of muscles from the abdomen to the back, giving your heart and lunges a workout.
- Improved lung function, reduces asthmatic symptoms: again, due to the breathing exercises that singing requires, all of the muscles required for breathing become stronger.
- Improved heart rate variability: taking slow, controlled breaths can help reduce the heart rate of a singer, even in stressful situations (like a concert). Some studies have even shown the heart rates of choral singers to synch during rehearsals and performances, due to their well-rehearsed breaths.
- Reduce stress: Especially in group choir settings, singing becomes a communal opportunity to emotionally connect with one another. In such a positive setting, the body releases endorphins, and lowers levels of cortisol (stress hormone).
- Improved Immune System: Because of the stress-reducing aspect of singing, some researchers have found increased levels of cytokines (an indicator of an immune response) in cancer patients.
- Enhanced Mental State: From group participation, to almost meditative breathing akin to yoga, singing can calm the mind in ways pure exercise or other forms of artistic expression might not. Particularly in a choir, a singer will become aware of the mental states of their neighbors, noticing minutia like breathing, body language, and meet their fellow singers on an almost subconscious level.
Reap the benefits of singing today, by calling the Omaha School of Music and Dance to register for private voice lessons for all levels and ages. OSMD also has group