Looking for dance performance opportunities in the Omaha area? There are many options to choose from! There are seven different options that we recommend.
- Studio Recitals: Some dance studios have several dance recitals throughout the year. However, most dance studios have an annual summer dance recital. Dance recitals are a wonderful time for the students to have fun, show what they have learned, and to dress up and be creative! The Omaha School of Music and Dance has a dance recital each summer to show what their students have put their hard effort into learning. OSMD teaches ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, pointe, lyrical, and adult combo. OSMD also teaches musical theater where students can learn dancing and singing at the same time.
- School Musicals/Plays: Check out the school that you have your child attend. Schools in the Omaha area have many plays and musicals. Participating in the school your child attends is a great way for your child to learn dance techniques, spend more time bonding with friends, and to perform in front of family members and other peers. Most schools do winter and spring plays, but some do frequent holiday plays, as well.
- Show Choir: Both middle school and high school have show choir. This is another great opportunity for your child to learn dance and singing techniques while spending time with friends.
- Dance Competitions:com gives list of the dance competitions that occur throughout Nebraska and Iowa each year. There is a competition July 10th in Ames, Iowa called Leap! National Dance Competition. Otherwise, some dance studios (i.e. Erin’s Dance Studio, http://erinsdancestudio.com/ ) do some dance competitions along with dance recitals. Another option would be to check listing at the Orpheum or Century Link Center for other dance competitions.
- Ballet Nebraska: Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, Momentum, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream are the popular performances that Ballet Nebraska performs annually. Momentum is the performance that is coming up. The performance will be October 20th at the Joslyn Art Museum and October 22nd at the Iowa Western Arts Center. The Nutcracker will be at the Iowa Western Arts Center on November 19th and the Orpheum Theater December 2nd and 3rd. A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be in May of 2018 on the 5th and 6th at the Orpheum Theater. You can search the Orpheum Theater or the Iowa Western Arts Center for auditions!
- Omaha Dance Festivals: 13th Annual Nebraska Invitational Ballroom Festival has several events this summer. This link lists the schedule for the festival – http://www.nebraskainvitational.com/schedule.asp Rhythm Weekend is a festival that has tap and jazz dancing. This festival goes July 15th through July 17th. Click here for more details: https://jitterbugs.org/event/rhythm-weekend-tap-dance-festival/ The Nebraska Invitational Dance Festival is held every June. Click here for more details: http://www.spiritofomaha.com/Metro-Magazine/Community/Calendar/index.php/name/Nebraska-Invitational-Dance-Festival/event/17043/
- Community Theater: Lastly, there is your local community theater! The Omaha Community Playhouse has auditions for several different plays throughout the year. The Theater Arts Guild Omaha gives a list of auditions at theaters throughout Omaha: http://theatreartsguild.com/calendar/auditions/