Are you looking for an instrument for yourself or your child to play, but don’t know what to pick? Well look no further! The guitar is the instrument for you! Here are nine reasons why you should play the guitar!
- Playing the guitar is a great way to express your creativity, expand your possibilities and grow as a person. It will build your self- confidence in your day-to-day life as you become a more confident player, which is a huge benefit to playing this instrument! You might even become a multi-instrument player, a producer, a sound engineer, or a studio musician someday! Playing the guitar is a great skill and talent to have!
- With the guitar, you can play all different styles of music, such as jazz, blues, classical, Spanish, rock, heavy metal, country, or pop. You can entertain a wide variety of people with these different styles and you can learn to understand other music, artists, musicians and why they do what they do. You could even create your own style on the guitar.
- You can play in a band (how cool is that?) or you can play by yourself. It is difficult to play alone with some other instruments, such as the drums. It is a way to connect with others, at guitar workshops or just jamming with your friends. Learning a few simple chord progressions will give you the skill to play with just about anyone.
- You can teach others to play once you are proficient. It could be a future career for you! You could inspire future students the way your music teacher inspires you.
- As a guitarist you are more mobile and flexible as a musician. The guitar is totally portable and you can take it just about anywhere. Dragging a piano or a drum set around with you would be impossible!
- Playing the guitar can help you forget about your daily problems and break out of the “9 to 5” life. Learning the guitar is thought to be relaxing because of the therapeutic nature of the instrument. It allows you to focus on one things and escape from the pressures of life. Studies show that the highest demographics of people learning the guitar are men over 40 who work full time and have a family. They are looking for a break from the stresses of life and they want to do something for themselves.
- Playing the guitar is a great emotional outlet. Creating the music that expresses how your feel and playing it for yourself if an incredible emotional release. It’s even more exciting if you have written the music yourself as well.
- There are many physical and mental benefits to playing the guitar too. It is a great arm and hand workout. It can lower your heart rate and blood pressure. Learning new things keeps your brain sharp and can improve your memory and alertness. It can also help to relieve chronic pain.
- Playing the guitar develops discipline and patience. These are beneficial skills that you will carry over into other parts of you life.
If you would like to learn to play the guitar, check out Omaha School of Music and Dance’s website for information on private or group lessons!