Many adults today suffer from the “Couch Potato Syndrome,” where they can’t seem to get up and get motivated to do something healthy. Maybe it is because they aren’t very athletic, and feel that is the only way to get some exercise. Have you ever considered taking a dance class? This offers an option for those who are not so athletic to get some great exercise. Below are 13 benefits for adults when they take dance classes.
- Dancing helps you lose weight! Dancing helps you to keep your mind and body healthy and is just as good for you as cycling and jogging. It helps with your upper-body strength and strengthens your core muscles. Overall, it can be a great workout for any adult! It is a great endurance builder.
- Dancing helps to boost your memory. Science shows that exercise can reverse the volume loss from the part of your brain that controls memory and can help prevent dementia.
- Dancing improves your flexibility and reduces stiffness. It eases joint pain throughout your body and strengthens bones and muscles. Your range of motion will improve and you will have an easier time moving your shoulders, arms and back.
- Dancing reduces stress. It can be very enjoyable to have an hour each week to forget all your troubles as you dance your cares away! It helps to diminish depression and lift your spirits
- Dancing is good for your heart. It is the perfect activity for those who are at risk for cardiovascular disease. It improves your heart health, breathing, and quality of life.
- Dancing gives you better balance. Good posture is required for dancing and dancing helps you stabilize and gain better control of your body.
- Dancing increases your energy level. Studies find that dance can improve physical performance and increase energy in adults.
- Dance class gives you the perfect opportunity to make new friends and socialize. Being socially engaged leads to increased happiness, reduces stress, and gives you a strong immune system.
- Dance class offers insight to other cultures and customs, through the different styles of dance and music you will encounter as well as your fellow classmates.
- Dancing increases your self-esteem and confidence. As you concentrate on learning new dance steps, your self-esteem will rise. As you learn graceful new ways for your body to move, you will gain a better appreciation and respect for your body, which will result in a healthier body image.
- Dancing offers a creative outlet to express your personality and emotions without using words. It is a great way to be creative!
- Skills you learn in dance class can be valuable and transferable skills that can be applied to any career path you choose in life. These are life skills that you can take with you.
So put down that remote control, put on some comfortable dance clothes, and come on down to Omaha School of Music and Dance to sign up for our Adult Combo class. It is a combination of ballet, tap, and jazz dancing that meets on Tuesday evenings at 6:30. Come on down and get healthy!! You can register at https://app.jackrabbitclass.com/reg.asp?id=520295.