If you are the type of person who wants to reach a higher level of guitar playing and really want to learn music well, you will be much better off with a live teacher instead of a free internet class. Your progress will move much faster with a teacher. Musicians are like athletes…they need coaches/trainers so they are able to improve and do their very best. Of course music shouldn’t be a competition with others, but it can be a competition with yourself to improve your skills and reach your musical goals. Listed below are ten reasons who you should use a live teacher for lessons.
- If you are having an online lesson, there is no possibility for your teacher to work physically with your hands. Sometimes the best way to correct a problem is to physically manipulate a student’s wrist, fingers, elbows, etc.
- In an online lesson, you are at the mercy of your Internet connection, especially if it is lagging. You can also have awkward duplex problems, which means both people are trying to talk at the same time and only one can be heard. This causes a delay in messages and can just make things difficult.
- If you are taking Skype lessons from a teacher that lives across the country, chances are you will not be able to perform in a recital for that teacher’s studio. This takes away a great experience of performing live for your peers.
- Teacher/student and student/student duets will be impossible over the Internet. Again, this takes away a great opportunity for the student.
- The teacher doesn’t have the ability to point to the music for the student to help them out. Sometimes it is helpful for the teacher to point along in the music to keep the student on track, and that isn’t a possibility here. The teacher also doesn’t have the capability to mark in the student’s music any changes that they decide to make. To remedy this, there would have to be a lot of scanning and emailing going on between teacher and student, or the student would have to take really good notes, which isn’t easy for younger students.
- If you do not have a live teacher in the room with you during a lesson, the lesson will just be lacking in many aspects. The teacher will not be able to count along with the student while he/she plays because of the lag in Internet. They cannot give you instant feedback or any kind of motivation, which is important when you are starting something new.
- Without a teacher in the room during a lesson, there will be no one to model proper techniques for the student. Sometimes students need that demonstration to get it right!
- Many self-taught guitar players just don’t know what they should be learning. Good guitar teachers can spot weaknesses and bad habits that need correcting and modify their approach to your learning styles. Everyone learns differently. Having a teacher who can customize your lesson will help your improvement come much faster.
- Having a teacher in the room, holding you accountable, will force you to have a better work ethic, which can cause you to master certain techniques sooner rather than later.
- Teachers are a good resource for you and can give you many good opportunities. They have connections to the music world and could make a difference in your musical life!
Come to OSMD and let one of our wonderful guitar teachers lead you on your path! You will get plenty of hands on attention in your lesson and will become a great guitar player! https://www.omahaschoolofmusicanddance.com/guitar-lessons-omaha-ne/